Most visitors to the region are unaware of this hidden gem, which is located in the Himachal Pradesh district of Mandi. Also, because the Prashar Lake trek is accessible all year, it is ideal for a weekend getaway. Away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life, this is the place to go if you want seclusion, tranquillity, and breathtaking views.
Why Should I Trek?
One of the most appealing aspects of this trek is that you can choose your own starting point.
Read More: Can airlines cancel flights last minute?
History of the Prashar Lake
Prashar Rishi, who meditated here many years ago, regards the lake as sacred.
The temple was built in the 13th century in honour of the Rishi by Raja Bank Sen of Mandi, who named the lake after him in riveting Himachali architecture.
Best Time to visit Prashar Lake
Although this trek can be done at any time of year, the months of January and February are ideal because the lake is almost frozen and covered in snow.
How to reach Prashar Lake
Prashar Lake is accessible from two main points in Himachal Pradesh:
Mandi is approximately 430 kilometres from Delhi and 187 kilometres from Chandigarh, whereas Kullu is approximately 498 kilometres from Delhi. I should point out that you can drive further ahead of Baggi to shorten your trek, or you can hike through the woods to Prashar Lake from Baggi.
Suggested Itinerary for Prashar Lake Trek
The Prashar Lake trek allows you to choose your starting point.
- Take an overnight bus from Delhi to Mandi.
- Alternatively, you could drive yourself or take a flight to Bhuntar – or any of the other options we discussed above.
- I’m hoping to get to Mandi by 6/ 7 a.m.
- Explore the surrounding Mandi region and take in the quaint Himalayan lifestyle.
- This is a trek in the hills, among the trails – and there will be no commercialization.
- Remember to bring your water bottles and fill them up before beginning the trek to Prashar Lake.
The view from the lake includes three Himachal Himalayan ranges: the Pir Panjal range, the Dhauladhar range, and the Lahaul and Spiti range.
Also, once you’ve returned to the campsite, go explore the old temple and immerse yourself in mythological history.
When you return to the campsite, enjoy your morning cup of chai and make your selection.
Prashar Lake Accommodation
Prashar Lake has a tent rental service.
You can also carry your camping gear and pitch your tent at a distance from the lake because it is not permitted to pitch a tent near the lake.
Where to eat
On the trek, there are no food options. However, there are a few food options available at the lake. Rates are fairly normal. You should always carry your own water bottle with you and refill it as needed.
There are no ATMs in the vicinity of Prashar Lake. As a result, it is preferable to carry a sufficient amount of cash. There are ATMs in Mandi where you can withdraw cash.
Mobile network in Prashar Lake
Prashar Lake lacks a strong mobile network connection. Only the BSNL and Jio networks are available, but both have intermittent connectivity.
There is only one water source available between the treks, and it is possible that you will miss it. So, bring plenty of water in a bottle for the trek.
- Always bring a light woollen sweater/jacket with you on the trek.
- Carry at least three layers of thermal clothing in the winter, as temperatures can fall into the negatives in January.
- In the winter, you will need proper trekking shoes to complete this trek because the trail is mostly covered in snow.
- In the summer, you can trek in sports shoes, but in the winter, trekking shoes are a better option.
- Carry all of your trash back to Mandi to be a responsible traveller and help to keep this beautiful lake clean.
- Prashar Lake trek is a frequently overlooked trail in the area.
- Partly due to the fact that there is now complete road connectivity leading up to the lake itself.
- However, the trail is an extremely enjoyable experience in and of itself, surprising you a few times by opening up into spectacular views and shocking your system with what lies ahead.