Otoplasty denotes surgical reshaping of the outer ear or the pinna. It is an artistic procedure that alters and modifies the ears’ size, position, or dimension. Read more about Ear Surgery below.
The person having otoplasty surgery can either feel self-confidence when surgery goes well or may even feel disturbed if there is some mishap.
Not all patients are happy with their surgery. It is performed when flattening one’s ear if it sticks out or repositioning them to bring them symmetry and many more.
How to know if you are the right person for the surgery?
- A set-back otoplasty is a method to reduce the projection of ears that protrude and can be formed on adults and children.
- If ears have attained their full size, it is common among children around six years of age.
- A person with good health and a positive attitude can go for otoplasty.
Cause of protruding ears-
It happens if the cartilage growth is affected by genetic features or health conditions, or any injury affects the shape of the ears. The outer ear is at an angle of approximately 21-30 degrees to the head’s side. If the angle is more than this, then ears will appear to be protruding.
Approximately 30% of children have normal ears at birth, but within 3 months, their ears start to protrude.
Benefits of otoplasty surgery
- Improve in the shape of ears and proportion of ears after ear surgery.
- Increase in the level of self-confidence.
- The risk in this procedure is minimal, and that is why it can be performed on children above the age of five.
- Results stay throughout the lifetime with minimum complications.
- Treatment is less time-consuming and is mostly completed within 1 to 2 hours.
Disadvantages of otoplasty surgery
- After-care and recovery are difficult among young children.
- There might be permanent numbness or scarring of the ear or face.
- After surgery, infections may arise, which may prevent the person from smoking or consuming alcohol.
Side effects of surgery
- Numbness or tingling
- Feel sore, itchy, or tender in the ear
Before– Choose a certified plastic surgeon and also consult your plastic surgeon in your area and during this period following things will happen:
- Review your medical history.
- A plastic surgeon might take measurements or pictures of your ear; they will do proper examining to find your ears’ shape, size, and placement.
- Next, they will do a proper discussion about the procedure, pros and cons, and the cost of otoplasty surgery.
- You might even ask questions about your doubts related to the surgery to your surgeon.
During– It might take 1-2 to hours for the surgery, depending on the complexity of the methods. Local anaesthesia is given to adults and older children with a sedative during this procedure.
The patient might be given general anaesthesia in some cases. It depends on the type of otoplasty you have about the specific surgical techniques to be used. It includes –
- Making pierce either inside the folds of your ear or on the backside of your ear.
- Proper treatment is done, which includes removal of cartilage or skin, shaping of cartilage with stitches, or grafting of cartilage to the ear.
- Pierce is stitched and closed.
After- Keep the pressing dry and clean
- Do not scratch or touch your ears
- Avoid resting on your ears while in a sleeping position
- Use clothing such as bottom-up shirts so that you can avoid clothes that pull over your head.
Please share “Ear Surgery: Otoplasty Surgery It’s Definition”