A stiff neck can cause pain and feelings of discomfort and irritation. It interrupts you to perform daily life activities. It impacts your sleep badly. According to research conducted in 2010, more than 12 percent of men and 17 percent of women suffered neck issues.
They have reported stiffness and pain in the area of the neck. You will be surprised to know that the number of people having neck issues is rising because of the prevalent use of computers and mobile phones. It causes people to keep their necks at awkward angles.
The common cause of neck pain is looking down at your laptop, phone, and other devices. It leads to neck strain. Other causes may include stress, poor posture, osteoarthritis, clenched jaw, spinal injury, and repetitive neck motions.
Many people sit to work at the computer for eight hours daily. It can cause stiffness in the area of your neck. Adjust the chair to the position that is comfortable for you.
Keep your feet flat under the table on the floor. Try to adjust the knees lower than your hips. If you are sitting with your arms level or back straight, use the ergonomic posture.
You can do some healthy practices and apply remedies to prevent a stiff neck. Following are the best exercises to prevent neck stiffness. Here are the best ways to avoid neck stiffness at work.
Look upward and extend your neck slowly. Now bring the head backward and keep your back and shoulders stationary. Hold the stretch for the time of five minutes. After this, return to your neutral position. Repeat this exercise daily to prevent stiffness in the neck region.
You can call it the forward bending of your neck. Lower your chin gradually toward the area of your chest. Look down and move your head only. Forward it far as you can comfortably. Now, you have to hold this stretch for the time of five seconds.
After this, could you return it to its original position? You will feel this exercise throughout the back of your neck.
Lateral Neck Flexion
Bend your head to one side slowly, like bringing your left ear toward the area of the left shoulder. The back and shoulders remain still when you practice this stretch. Neck flaxes to the side laterally. Hold this stretch for five seconds.
Now, return your head to its original position and repeat this position in the opposite direction. You will feel this stretch along the neck’s right side.
Keep your back in a straight position. Your shoulders should be still and turn the head to the left side. After this, your head will reach the rotation limit. Now hold this stretch for five seconds and bring it to its original position.
Repeat the same stretch to the right side. Rotation can be challenging among all other exercises of the neck. You are recommended to rotate only the pathway of your neck. Do it without enhancing pain in your neck area.
Remedies For Neck Stiffness
Different remedies can help you to reduce the stiffness and pain in the area of your neck. You can use these remedies for the prevention of neck problems too.
- Apply Ice Or Heat: Apply ice a few times a day to relieve the inflammation. You can apply heat too alternately. Use a heating pad and take a warm shower. It also helps you to reduce neck stiffness.
- OTC Pain Relievers: Use some over-the-counter pain relievers. These medicines help to reduce neck pain. Examples of OTC pain relievers are ibuprofen, acetaminophen, and naproxen sodium.
- Avoid Sudden Movements During A Stretch: Stretching helps relieve the stiffness and pain in your neck area. It is essential to stretch your neck slowly to avoid sudden movements. These movements can cause pain, severe injuries, and inflammation.
- Get A Massage: Ask a trained practitioner to massage your neck. It helps to lose the muscles of your neck and back.
- Avoid Physical Activity: If you get neck pain after starting certain physical activities, you should avoid doing that activity. Do not try heavy lifting. It can cause more issues to your neck.
- Reduce Stress: Stress can make the muscles of the neck tense. Reducing stressors can help you to prevent stiffness in the area of your neck. You can try medication and several other ways to reduce your stress.