Fire is necessary in many things such as cooking, keeping a place warm, or heating some things. On the other hand, if it is irresponsibly used and neglected, it can result in tremendous damage to property as well as life and it can also cause grieving of many families. To avoid these, there should always be a safety measures and prevention to keep everyone safe.
Before releasing permission to operate to the business owners, they must undergo thorough inspection especially if they follow regulations and must meet preventive standards on fire safety. To successfully pass the assessment, they must install some significant tools in their establishments such as smoke alarms, fire extinguishers, fire sprinklers, fire door and wall, and hydrants. If the establishment conducts hot work, they might require some fire watch who will be responsible for managing the fire safety of the company.
The fire lookout is one of the most difficult jobs yet it is significant especially for commercial or industrial facilities. They carry major responsibilities and play a vital role in fire safety. They are well-trained individuals who finish training in excellence and attended seminars thoroughly to deliver a quality service to their employers. They are generally responsible for mitigating the fire hazards in the workplace and they constantly monitor every corner of the area before and after work to make sure there are no spilled chemicals or flammable stuff around the site that might catch fire. It is also part of their job to execute preventive measures such as operating tools during a fire incident. They also inform the fire team about the fire alertly. For detailed information about fire safety, you can visit this site.
Their lives are at stake, even though they are trained properly, they must still follow some general safety tips not just for their sake but also for the safety of all people and the establishment. Here is a list of Fire Watch General Safety tips:
- Wear Safety gears – fire lookouts must wear safety gear such as a uniform that is safe from fire similar to the fire fighter’s clothes. They must wear some goggles, a safety helmet, elbow and knee pad, etc. It is necessary since they are on the front line when an emergency happens at the site. An explosion might occur upon checking the leakage, wires, or machines so they must be prepared and don’t remain chill.
- Be Vigilant – fire watch should be observant of everything that is happening on the worksite especially on fire hazard areas. If they missed out on something, it can lead to massive destruction. They need to check everything even the smallest detail to ensure that it will not cause a fire. In case there is a fire incident, they must also be alert by calling first the fire department so that they can arrive promptly and do some safety preventive measures such as operating the tools.
- Familiarization with Fire Doors and Fire exits – they must also be familiar with every corner of the site by studying the floor plan so that they can check if fire doors are closed properly and know the fire exit since they will lead their colleagues in the safe fire exit in case of emergency.
- Practice Critical Thinking – they must always think critically by thinking of a good plan instead of panicking during the fire incident situation. If they doubt and suspect a fire, they must advise the boss to stop the operation and do further inspection of the area.
- Never leave the area – they must put their full attention to the worksite and never leave it even for just a few minutes or it may result in something regretful. They must have a substitute before taking a break. It is also their responsibility to check everything before leaving the worksite.