FASTag is a digital tag that uses Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) technology to enable electronic toll collection, reduce waiting time, and facilitate seamless vehicle movement at toll plazas. With the government making FASTag mandatory for all four-wheelers, it is necessary to apply for a FASTag to avoid paying twice the toll amount at every toll plaza you cross.
The entire FASTag registration process can be done online within minutes. However, the vehicle owner or their representative must submit a few necessary documents to obtain the FASTag. Here is a complete list of documents required to buy FASTag online.
Documents needed to apply for FASTag online
The following documents are required to complete FASTag registration online through your bank’s website.
- Vehicle registration certificate
- KYC documents to verify the applicant’s identity, age, and address. You can submit your PAN, Aadhaar, passport, valid driving licence, or voter’s ID card.
FASTag documents must be in the name of the vehicle owner. And in case the FASTag applicant is a corporate body, the following documents will be required:
- Registration certificate of the business
- Official proof of the signing authority
- Company’s PAN card
- Partnership deed
- List of company directors and their addresses
When submitting the above, complete names and address details should be provided. Also, note that FASTags are not interchangeable. So, if you have multiple vehicles under the same name, you must buy separate FASTags for each vehicle.
How to get a FASTag?
It takes a few minutes to complete the FASTag buy process through your bank’s website:
- Visit your bank’s official website – Locate the FASTag product section. Click on the FASTag apply option.
- Fill out the online form – Enter personal details such as your name, contact information, address, vehicle registration number, etc.
- Submit documents – Upload scanned copies of documents such as your vehicle registration certificate, KYC documents, etc.
- Pay the fee – After submitting the form and required documents, you have to pay the issuance fee. This can be done online via net banking, credit/debit card, UPI, etc.
- Receive your FASTag – After verifying your details, your FASTag will be delivered to your registered address within seven working days.
Similarly, you can also buy FASTag online through your bank mobile banking app or from a registered digital payment/UPI app. For FASTags issued by certified banks, the maximum charge is Rs 100 per tag. Aside from that, one has to pay a refundable deposit, which can vary for different types of vehicles.
Keep these documents handy while applying for FASTag so that you don’t face any hassle later on. Once purchased, FASTag is valid for the next five years, and you can recharge it online easily through net banking and mobile banking. You can also opt for the auto recharge facility so that you never face a situation where you’re at a toll plaza and have insufficient balance.