A major part of the paralegal’s job is retrieving records and doing research for their employers. When a paralegal works for a law firm that handles medical cases or an insurance company, they will be looking for pertinent medical records much of the time. They can do a better job in less time if they have the best medical retrieval service.
Law Firm Medical Record Searches
When a law firm paralegal is requesting medical records, they need to get results quickly and securely. Important factors in dealing with medical records are easy access, speed, affordability, security, and support. The record retrieval portal should be HIPAA compliant. The records must be gotten in a legal way that will hold up during any legal proceeding.
Paralegals should follow these tips for more success in their job of medical record retrieval:
- Make sure to obtain the proper authorization from the client, patient, or another pertinent party. Use the correct authorization document.
- Do the required research without cutting corners. Record requests must be sent to the correct departments of insurance companies or healthcare providers. Take the time to find the correct party to send the request to to save time. Make sure the records request is going to the correct source. Veriffy the address the request is being sent to is correct.
- Find out the proper scope for the records request beforehand. A request should be specific and not too broad. Ask for only the information that is needed. Collecting extra, unrelated records can add to the cost of the records and the time needed to collect them.
- Know the medical providers you will be dealing with. Each place keeping records will have its own policies and methods. They will have specific rules and requirements for the release of information authorization. They will have their own fee requirements. Knowing what the requirements are in advance will save time and reduce the need for follow-up calls.
- Be sure the records request being sent does not have any errors. Just one mistake can lead to a delay in processing. Names and addresses must be correctly spelled. Every detail must be checked for accuracy.
- Keep track of every request. If a record request is supposed to take 30 days and has not come, check on it promptly. Keeping a detailed list of document requests and timelines becomes important when information is needed quickly. Checking on a late document can speed up the process.
- Be an effective organizer with well-kept medical files. Organize each medical file in a way that makes the presentation of information logical and effective. The attorney who has a well-organized record for their presentation has a better time preparing for litigation and presenting their case. This will ultimately lead to better case outcomes.
- Don’t be afraid to use all the latest technology to make the job easier. Selecting the service provider who has the latest technology can speed up record retrieval. Once the medical records have been obtained, a law firm with OCR and AI technology will have an easier time organizing the information into a legal brief and presentation. it is also helpful for firms handling multiple personal injury lawsuits at the same time.
In conclusion, the law firm and its paralegals who are well-organized and use the right record retrieval services will have better outcomes for their cases. Using a service that is affordable, yet accurate and streamlined, is an advantage.