It takes a lot more than sweating at the gym to build muscles. Training is crucial to the entire process of muscle-building. Read Muscle Building Guide.
It takes a lot more than sweating at the gym to build muscles. Training is crucial to the entire process of muscle-building. However, rest is of paramount importance as well. When you rest, the muscles heal from the stress they had to endure while exercising.
When it comes to muscle building, protein consumption is bound to come up. And meat happens to be the best source of protein. Both of them go hand in hand. Proteins are the crucial macronutrient that is full of amino-acids. That’s why proteins are right called the building blocks of muscles.
Most importantly, an athlete or bodybuilder must know about the right nutrients to make their way to their diet plan for sufficient muscle repair and recovery. Apart from protein, one should also be aware of other minerals and vitamins necessary to help the fitness journey.
Bodybuilders can increase their protein intake with the help of supplementation. Also, they can consume it right after working out. Note that supplements aren’t helpful; they give you a boost in both performance and results. However, when it comes to protein, meat should be the preferred source of acquiring it.
Let’s take a look at what meat is made up of:
Along with other professionals, athletes have to take a particular amount of protein regularly for boosting muscle growth. One of the best sources to acquire protein is through meat. It has a High Biological Value (HBV), and it is made up of EAA, Essential Amino Acids, and NEAA, Non-Essential Amino Acids. The human body is capable of producing NEAA. EAA, a necessary component of protein synthesis, cannot be created by the human body.
The International Journal of Sports Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism reports that strength athletes need protein between the amount of 1.2g and 1.7g of protein per each kg of body weight every day. As for endurance athletes, the recommended protein intake is between 1.2g and 1.4g of protein every day per kg of bodyweight.
How much is too much?
For someone who has been going to the gym, religiously for years can do with less protein even. This is because the closer you are to your limit of muscle growth, the slower your gains. When you have a slow growth rate, you need less protein to support that growth. If you want to gain muscle mass, or even hold on to whatever gains you have while cutting fat, 2.2g of protein per kg of lean body mass happens to be more than enough. There is no limitation on eating. You can eat more if you want.
There is one thing, though. It is not going to impact the speed at which your body gains muscle.
Minerals & Vitamins
Be it vitamins or minerals; meat is enriched with both. And along with protein, these are also essential for muscle gain. Meat also contains zinc, B Vitamins (B2, B6, and B12), selenium, and iron. Zinc plays a key role in the production of protein. It also helps with the repair and recovery process of the muscle cells. Along with this, zinc also plays a part in improving the immunity of the body. Zinc boosts your immune system.
The other nutrient, selenium, is an anti-oxidant. It helps in keeping you from getting injured during post-workout. It prevents the body from oxidative damage to healthy muscle cells. This allows them to boost and repair at a fast pace.
As for the B vitamins, all of them help in releasing energy from the foods. This means that you will feel a lot more energetic and pumped up while doing workouts. Vitamin B6 and B12 are directly linked to muscle growth. B12 helps with maintaining nerve function that allows the muscles to contract. As for B6, it is required for AA metabolism.
Last but not least, meat contains iron, which helps in increasing energy levels. Moreover, iron also helps in fighting fatigue, allowing red blood cell production. Red blood cells act as carriers of oxygen to the rest of the body, triggering cell growth, particularly in the muscles.
Creatine is also found naturally in meat. It happens to be a nitrogen-containing compound that gives muscles energy. Also, it facilitates the process of protein synthesis. This leads to positive growth in muscles. 90% of creatine is found in the muscles. The remaining 10% are found in the heart and brain.
So, meat happens to be an excellent source of different elements for muscle growth that is well-balanced in everything. However, at the same time, you should know that meat can also be high in saturated fats. To get optimal muscle growth, athletes and other professionals should opt for lean cuts such as chicken breast, turkey, and lean steaks.
Do trim off any excess fat before cooking.
Please share “Muscle Building: Here is why You Need to Level up Your Meat Intake” with friends and family.